The sacrament of reconciliation is the ordinary way for our sins committed after Baptism to be forgiven.
It produces many effects in us (See Catechism of the Catholic Church,1496):
We make a special effort to make this sacrament available to all.
- reconciliation with God by which the penitent recovers grace;
- reconciliation with the Church;
- remission of the eternal punishment incurred by mortal sins;
- remission, at least in part, of temporal punishments resulting from sin;
- peace and serenity of conscience, and spiritual consolation;
- an increase of spiritual strength for the Christian battle.